Saturday, January 7, 2012

Weekend Update

Running/Training Updates
I ran my 6 miles scheduled that were scheduled for the week.  I’m still running 2 miles three times, since I don’t want to push the transition into the Vibrams.  However, I’m considering making next Friday’s run 3 miles, I will see how my legs are feeling then.  The first week of 2012 but I’m off to a good start of meeting my goal of running 750 miles. 6 down and 744 more to go!

The upcoming FYTO Virtual 5K satellite race is starting to shape up.  A few people have expressed interest in meeting on the 28th to run.  Lady M has graciously volunteered to have coffee and munchies after the race so at least there is something to look forward to at the finish line!  If you are interested in taking part with us be sure to contact me for directions and visit The Boring Runner’s site for more info and to let him know you are running.  My girls have even said that they want to run too, so there even be a kid's fun run as well!  Once we get closer and have a better idea who will be running we can work out a time to meet.


Weight
Starting weight 30 Dec: 208lbs
Current weight 6 Jan: 206lbs
Change from last week: -2lbs
Total weight loss/gain: -2lbs

As a form of accountability, I’m going to start posted my weight loss progress during the weekend update posts.   I started using Weight Watchers are the means to log my diet and track my weight on 30 Dec 2011 and will have an official weigh in every Friday.  Prior to starting I had to determine what my goal weight would be, I originally chose 180 pounds because that seemed more realistic and consistent with USAF standards but I was amazed of what some say my “ideal weight” should be.

According to several sites, the ideal weight for a 5’11” ranges from 150 – 160 pounds.  I know that the low end of the scale is probably for men with a smaller frame but the thought weighing of 160 pounds seems a bit absurd to me, Am I out of my mind?  I haven’t weighed that much since high school!  Well except for the first 2 weeks of college where I went from weighing ~170 to ~150.  I don’t recommend doing that!

The USAF PT regulations actually had a more logical idea of an ideal weight (scary huh).  They state than in order to get maximum points for my body composition on the PT Test I have to either have a 32.5-inch waist or have a BMI of 25 or below (I have to weigh 176 pounds in order to have a BMI of 24.89).  The 32.5-inch waist seems a bit harsh because I know plenty of people who have a body fat percentage in the single digits but don’t have that small of a waist.

WW states that my healthy weight ranges is 143-179 pounds.  The 179 pounds is more in line with the USAF standards so this was essentially the behind one of my goals for 2012.  Since I want to weigh 180lbs that means I need to lose close to 30 pounds and if I can follow their recommendation of losing 2 pounds per week, I should reach my goal around the first part of April.

One important thing to remember is to weigh myself AFTER the morning ritual of sitting and thinking.  On the 28th I weighed over 210 pounds…then I realized that I was plugged up like a constipated accountant…I couldn’t budget!  Once I resolved that messy situation, I dropped at least 3 pounds!  I don't think I can "ponder" that much more than once a week so I will stick with WW!

How was your week?  What did you do to reach your 2012 goals?

3 comments:

  1. Very good post. New to your blog. Best wishes to the virtual 5k race. I am interested even if I have to do this alone. (Dillsburg, Pa) Your weight loss goals are to the exact of what mine are and even on my last post. I decided to do "Weigh in Wednesdays" Last week I was at exactly 207, but from 98' - 2010 I lost close to 40 pounds from 245 or so, and since then, (99) I have been running, but my weight seems stagnant. This year is another story, as my wife promises me a big surprise when I get down to 180. 180 is my goal. Also, prior USAF 93 - 97 Cannon AFB. Thanks for sharing, sorry for being wordy. Best wishes in your goals. Looking forward to future posts, and am now following your blog. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I like the weigh in strategy of getting the numbers after you drop a few on the toilet. I often do the same thing. My mother always said, though, "Stink, Don't Think". lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stink, Don't Think...very wise words!

    Following your blog as well...good luck with the weight loss. It's nice to know that there is other people involved in Operation Cut the Flab!

    ReplyDelete