Sunday, January 29, 2012

Weekend Update and FYTO 5K Race Report

Running/Training Updates
So it’s been a while since I gave a weekend update and to be honest I’m not too thrilled about doing this one.  The fact that if it weren’t for the fact that I know a few of you will be reading this I would skip it.  Heck I already did last weekend but I don’t want to go through another week of guilt so here I am. 

Work has been a bit more hectic than usual but I’ve told myself I will not run at home because I don’t want to sacrifice that time with my family.  At first I thought that was a good enough excuse but its not.  I could have easily ran when they went to bed or before I leave for work.  No excuses.  If I want to be held accountable for my running and weight then I need to be completely honest.  I was just lazy.   I chose not to run…I could have probably made the time but I didn’t.

FYTO Race Recap:
A group of friends from church have recently stated that we need to get together more often rather than just on Sundays.  Enter the FYTO Virtual 5K.  It was a perfect event to have people over, run, and have good fellowship.  All in all we had a 23 people show up!   Of those who actually took part in the race there were 6 runners, 4 walkers, and one biker.  Sorry Adam we forgot to get out the camera and take pictures!  EPIC FAIL!

After a quick verbal description of the route the wife of a Marine had to draw a map for her husband so that he could understand.  Unfortunately it didn’t dawn on everyone that the newly drawn map resembled a phallic symbol until I was showing the route to everyone!  Maybe it was a good thing we forgot to get the camera!  After a few Marine jokes and consumed a few brownies we all went out at our own pace.  We should have given the Marine more of a hard time because he was clearly the fastest of the group.  It’s estimated (he didn’t time it) that his time was around 18 or 19 minutes!

Personally, this was my first run in 10 days and I knew it would be rough.  I over estimated how hard it would be to push my 3 year old daughter in a stroller for 3 miles of rolling hills!  Even though it took me over 30 minutes to finish I’m glad I did it.  At one point while struggling to run up a hill my daughter asked, “Daddy, why did you stop running?”  The sad part was that I didn’t stop! 

This is the first time that I’ve really ran with one of my daughters when they were old enough to understand what was going on.  It was a completely new experience.  Despite the hills, I would take her running with me anytime!

Unfortunately, we almost had one casualty.  My precious Droid X fell into the toilet before people even starting showing up.  Thanks letting it sit in a bag of Uncle Ben's rice for almost 24 hours I'm glad to say that it is fully mission capable.  I hope that Verizon or Apple have Uncle Ben on their payroll because the good Uncle has saved my phone 3 times now!

After we all made it back to the house Lady M and my mother-in-law had an assortment of refreshments and snacks, you know it’s not an official Baptist get together unless we have food!  Even though I caught flack for not having water stops along the route, no t-shirts, and the course having too many hills, I think everybody had a good time.


Weight
Starting weight 30 Dec: 208lbs
Current weight 27 Jan: 204lbs
Change from last week: -1lbs
Total weight loss/gain: –4lbs


I skipped last weeks weigh-in but I’ve kept track of the weight loss anyway.  Even while being lazy I managed to lose 1 pound in each of the last two weeks.  That is short of the 2 pounds per week but I will take it.  I am going to have to kick it into gear if I want to get to the 180 mark.  Fortunately my family is planning on a mini vacation at the beach this summer so that should provide some extra motivation to shed the weight.  It looks like OPERATION Beach Bound will have to go into full effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment