Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Wednesday Widget: Boundaries and Snot Rockets

I’ve never been the type of person that can solve complex problems while running.  I’ve heard stories of people who can draft their next book or solve the country’s economic downfall.  That’s not me; I tend to focus on things like blowing the best snot rocket, what’s for dinner, or not letting the lady with the walker pass me.  However, that changed during 2-mile lunch run. My mind reverted to a chapter in the book I’m currently reading, The Life You’ve Always Wanted, by John Ortberg,

This chapter discusses the idea that as Christians when we don’t experience the authentic transformation we settle for a pseudo-transformation by putting up boundaries or markers in attempts to distinguish ourselves from those who are not Christians. (A lot deeper than snot rockets huh?)  Ortberg goes on to say that “If we do not become changed from the inside-out…we will be tempted to find external methods to satisfy our need to feel that we are different from those outside the faith.  If we cannot be transformed we, will settle for being informed or conformed.” 

Another characteristic of setting up boundaries/markers is that the focus is no longer on Christ but on you.  Looking back at my life, I realize that the times were I set up the most boundaries are when I am not putting the Christ first in my life.  I secretly hope that my boundaries/markers will show everyone that I am different instead of the fact that God loves themThe outcome of being informed and conformed rather than transformed is huge, “The misunderstanding of true spirituality has caused more immense damage to the human race”

"The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle.  That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable."
- Brennan Manning

As we have started a new year I encourage you to take a moment (go for a 2 mile run) to look deep into the motives behind your actions.  What do people see, your boundaries/markers or your transformed self?  If you are honest, the answer to this question might surprise you.

Before my 2 miles ended, my brain was full and realized that the 30-degree weather means that I need to perfect blowing snot rockets from both nostrils and remember to wash my running jacket before my next run!

No comments:

Post a Comment