Tuesday, January 31, 2012

January Recap

Running
Planned:  27.1

Only 3% so far

Actual: 21.1

750 Goal
Missing 6 miles in the first month is not a good way to start 2012.  I knew that work would start to ramp up after the holidays but I still was not mentally prepared to be flexible with my time and run when my schedule allowed.  I’m very fortunate that taking time to exercise during the week is not only encouraged but expected however, I’ve relied too much on being able to run while at work so when the time comes where I can’t run during the day it is VERY hard to run at home.  I only get a limited amount of time with the girls before they to bed and then even a smaller amount of time with Lady M. 

I refuse to give up that time so I need to make running a higher priority over sleep.  If I’m going to be selfish with my time at home, it has to be when everyone is asleep.

Favorite Run
My favorite run for the month is tie between the 3.5 mile birthday out and back run from the Pentagon to the Lincoln Memorial and the FYTO 5K.  The 3.5 miles is still the longest I’ve ran in the VFFs and surprisingly I was not too sore afterwards.  The FYTO 5K was the hardest run of the month but the most gratifying because I had a good number of friends to socialize with and I got to spend time with my middle daughter.

Reading

Another one of my goals for the year is to read the entire Bible is a year.  I’ve read the complete Bible before but never in a single year so I wanted give this shot this year.  I’ve tried to accomplish this a couple times but I always get bogged down in around Leviticus.  My commute to/from work has proven to be just enough time to get through the daily reading (Old Testament, New Testament, Psalms, and Proverbs) in The One Year Bible on my Kindle.  So far I’m still on track and haven’t missed a day.

This is one of the best books that I’ve read about the being the spiritual leader of a family.  It does a wonderful job of discussing the balance of a man’s career, personal goals, and ministries while having young children at home.  Definitely recommend.

1 comment:

  1. Just look towards February man. Great Job on what you have done thus far though. Hey, Does listening to the Bible on audiobook count? I listen to the New Testament at least once a month. But this year, I have a goal to actually read through the Bible. Our church got us Bible reader planners. You do a couple chapters in Genesis, A few in Psalms, Proverbs, and Matthew to start off. I think actually reading, you can write notes and really think and re-read if you have to. The most important thing though, is to pray before you start reading, as reading is fellowship with God. Sorry, I went off tangent. But Im not afraid to voice my self when it comes to God. Take care, and have a good week. Good luck trying to balance things out. I know it can be a challenge.

    ReplyDelete