Wednesday, December 7, 2011

2012 New Year's Resolutions

It’s almost that time again…have you started thinking about your New Year’s resolutions?  You know the list of grand ideas and goals that will inevitably be doomed by mid February.  Back in January, I came up with a list of running goals that I wanted to accomplish. Unfortunatley I only suceeded in 2 out of the 6 goals for the year.  Hopefully I will learn from this past year and do better in 2012. 
1. Stay healthy FAIL.  Ended up on crutches for about a month after having scar tissue removed
2. Run 1000 miles FAIL.  According to Dailymile I only ran 343 miles.  I know that I’ve logged some miles not posted on DM so I’ll give myself 400 miles…still way short of my goal
3. Run a 10K PASS.  George Washington Birthday Classic 10K (1:01:24); missed my personal goal to run a sub 1 hour but this was my first 10K so my ultimate goal was to just finish
4. PR in a 5K FAIL.  Only ran one 5K and there was no way I would every PR with the debacle we experienced
5. PR in a Half Marathon PASS.  My previous PR was 2:17:24 so running a 2:11:55 met my goal.  Additionally I set a personal goal of beating Paula Radcliffe’s WR time at the FULL Marathon (2:15:24) and I accomplished that goal as well.
Here are my goals for 2012.  All goals are related in nature so that I am essentially working at achieving all of them at the same time.  Specifically if I can achieve #2 then I'm well on my way to achieving #3.  It might be cheating but hopefully it serves as additional motiviation for me. 
I waivered on making the goals realistic so that they would be “easy” to achieve but then I read Goal Setting: 13 Secrets of World Class Achievers by Vic Johnson.  When talking about setting up your goals (specifically lifetime goals) Vic said that if your goal “doesn’t make you a little nervous – you know that feeling in the pit of your stomach; if it doesn’t take your breath away from the first time you think about it, it’s probably not big enough”.  Thinking back at 2010 my personal goal of beating Paula Radcliffe was a little daunting so it’s no wonder why I was so focused on achieving it.  Yet after finishing the race, I still wonder if I could have gone faster.  Perhaps my goal was not big enough. 
1. Weigh 180
2. PR the 1.5 (sub 11:42) mile run on the USAF PT Test
3. Run a sub 25 min 5K
4. Run 750 miles
5. Successfully transition into VFF
6. Run with my daughter in her school’s 1 mile fun run
For this year, I am setting two goals that meet Vic’s standards, the sub 25 min 5K, and the PR 1.5 mile.  They are big enough to make me nervous.  I am not planning on running a half marathon because I want to fully transition into the VFF’s.  If I feel that I can handle it after transitioning, and there is one available, I will think about adding to the schedule.  There should be no excuses for me NOT to achieve any of these goals (assuming that I do not go back on crutches). 
What are your goals for 2012?
I'd love to hear your goals especially the ones that give you that “feeling in the pit of your stomach”? 

No comments:

Post a Comment