Thursday, April 14, 2011

Three Things Thursday

{ONE} Running With The Girls

Yesterday two of my three daughters decided that they wanted to go for a run with me and since I'm in the transitioning phase to my VFFs I was only going to run 1/2 mile and go slow I eagerly let them (see yesterday's Wordless Wednesday) for the pic.  However, I knew that we would be going slower than I wanted to when my oldest decided to ride her scooter but I was not prepared for how slow we went.  We stopped about 6 times to let my oldest daughter catch up...and even to get a drink of water.  When she decided to ditch the scooter and actually "run" (with perfect form) I couldn't keep up!  My youngest (9 months old) absolutely loved being the the running stroller.  So I think I have a new running partners for now!

{TWO} Random Observations of a Dad

Having a four females (wife and three daughters) in the house I often use the use the "4" key when typing, blogging, filling out forms, emails...etc.  Yesterday I noticed that the "4" key is shared with the "$" sign.  Coincidence?  I think not. 

I'm not going to complain because I'm sure they can say that my running habit can be expensive...especially if I keep on wanting to participate in more races.

{THREE} Theme Song for the Next Race(s) - Underdog by Audio Adrenaline


I am so weak and I'm so tired
It's hard for me to
Find enough strength to feed the fires
That fuel my ego
And consequently all my pride has all but died
Which leaves me
Down on my knees
Back to the place I
Should have started from

CHORUS
Been beat up
Been broken down
Nowhere but up
When you're face down
On the ground
I'm in last place
If I place at all
But there's hope for this underdog!
That's the way, uh-huh, we like it!
That's the way, uh-huh, we like it!
You can call me the underdog

I'm in this race to win a prize
The odds against me
The world has plans for my demise
What they don't see
Is that a winner is not judged by his small size
But by the substitute he picks to run the race
And mine's already won


This song really motivated me during the last mile of the National Half Marathon while I wasn't really "weak and tired" as the song says but it still helped me pick up the pace.  Secretly I would love to BQ but I know there are a lot of hurdles (like running surviving a marathon and enjoying it enough to do it again and again and again) that need to be cleared before I can even think about do that.  All that being said this song provides a lot of motivation to test the limits of my running ability.

2 comments:

  1. It's wonderful that you make an effort to spend time with your girls while getting a run in! My mum would walk with us while we skated and it was the best times. :)

    I'm still getting used to running in them! I figure since I've taken some time off running, I might as well just start back slowly while wearing them. My left calf is killing me after last night's run, but that could also be due to inactivity for a week... I think November is plenty of time for you :)

    ReplyDelete