Thursday, April 7, 2011

Three Things Thursday

{One} Possible Government Shut Down...for who?
I have to be honest; my motivation for next week will be just about zero if the government decides to shut down at midnight tomorrow.  I am one of those people who will still have to come to work even though I'm not getting paid to so that really stinks.  Another thing that bothers me is how this puts a damper on my desire to find another race (or two) in the upcoming months.  In my mind I can't justify spending money on races knowing that I won't have an income for awhile.  Maybe I need to look more into creating the running group/ministry at church for extra motivation.

{Two} Group Runs and/or Running Clubs
The idea of meeting a group of people to run has always created anxeity for me.  There are two reasons for this 1) I'm afraid that I won't be able to keep up with the group therefore lagging behind by myself.  2) I'm afraid that some members of the group will feel sorry for me so they slow their pace down for me...which in turn ruins their run for that day.  For example, both times I've ran with a co-worker he slowed down to stay with me for the majority of the run.  Around the final mile he sped up to salvage the run.  Now he has never told me that was the reason for leaving me in the dust but I'm pretty sure that's why. 

{Three} Group Runs and/or Running Clubs Etiquette? Even with my apprehensions listed above I still feel the need, or call if you will, to get a group of people from my church to meet on Saturday mornings to run.  However, we would do more than just run we would also look for ways use the sport of running and its community help minister to the local area.  With this comes the challenge of providing an organized meeting that is suitable for runners from the newbie to the veteran marathoner. 

So my question goes is for all of you who take part in group runs or running clubs.

How do your groups/clubs incorporate runners with various skill levels and goals? 

If you enjoy your group/club what is it that you enjoy?

4 comments:

  1. I run with the Pacers store in Logan Circle. It's a smaller group and we usually split up into about three smaller groups to accomodate everyone, but we still all do the same route. I totally understand what you mean about having people feel sorry for you and slow down...I'd rather run by myself than feel like I'm holding someone back.

    You should come out to Pacers some time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious to see what people say. I'm thinking of joining a marathon training group starting this May, for my first ever marathon this fall. I've only ever trained by myself, and allot of it is for the reason you listed above.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Samantha,

    I will definitely look into visiting Pacers especially if I do ultimately decide to start up a group at my church. I think the experience would be very helpful. Thanks for the invite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I run with Capital Area Runners, we have all levels of runners, especially on the weekend runs. We meet for long runs both Saturday and Sundays. Due to parking & bathroom issues, currently the runs have been at Fletcher's Boathouse, but as that changes it gets switched up between Fletcher's, Roosevelt & Carderock. Our weekend runs are free to anyone if you want to come out and run with us! Church groups welcome! ;)

    I find the long runs always interesting in a group setting. Some people run their long runs very fast and others do not, we typically group up, but I find that I run my long runs slower than my "race" partners and run with a group that is typically behind me on the hard workout days. I find it fascinating! ;)

    The best thing to do is try out a few of the groups that you would like to try out and see which one best fits you! Most groups allow you to try it out before having to joining.

    ReplyDelete