Friday, April 29, 2011

RUNNERD Qualifications

What does it mean to be a runnerd?  According to the cafepress here is the definition. 

RUNNERD:  a person who does not conform, often highly intelligent but socially rejected because of their obesssion with running. A runnerd will run in any condition and is either constantly running, thinking about running, or talking about running.

So according to that explanation I think I am on the verge of becoming one. 

Constantly Running
This is one area where I fall short.  I have attempted to run in the past two weeks thanks to unexplainable very tender, blister, callous, wart, sore thingy on the arch of my foot.  I first noticed this right before the National Half and thought it was a blister yet it never went away.  Then I thought it was a combination of a blister that formed underneath a callous...it never went away.  Finally, I decided to play doctor and take matters into my own hands pocket knife.  Twice I've dug out the area that was causing me problems but the pesky thing keeps coming back.  My sister-in-law, a registered nurse, thought it was plantars wart so I took appropriate action.  The thing is still here.  It looks like I will be going to the doc to figure out what it is and what needs to be done.

Thinking about Running
In the two weeks that I haven't ran I've done a lot of thinking and ready about running.  I read Born to Run by Christopher McDougall, which has inspired me to really concentrate on my form and start getting serious about my diet.  It is a great book (as if you haven't already heard from the other gazillion of people who ready it).  I promptly downloaded three more running books on my kindle Running With God by Barry Simpson; The Long Run by Matt Long and Charles Butler; and The Barefoot Running Book First Edition by Jason Robillard.  This is an addition to my obsessively reading your runner blogs. 

Talking about Running
Lady M has heard her fair share of my whines about not running and my attempted transition to VFFs.  God bless her because she hasn't told me to stop.  On more than one occasion she has told me to go for a short run to see how the arch is feeling...however that only leads to longer discussions on what this growth is.  To her credit she has boasted a few times how she has ran more weekly miles than me during my short hiatus as she is in the middle of a "Couch to 5K" program.

So, I'm pretty sure that I'm about ready to submit my application, learn the secret handshake and become a card carrying runnerd.  There are worse things right?

What are you currently reading and books would you recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment