Thursday, March 10, 2011

National Half Marathon Goals

Only a couple more weeks until the National Half Marathon so I guess now is the time to re-think my goals for the race.  My original goal was to be beat the woman’s world’s record marathon time of 2:15:25.  However, after missing a couple of runs in the past weeks and not being able to get over the “dead leg” feeling I want to add a couple of additional goals for the race.

Goal A: 2:15:24.  Now that I’ve experienced the use of GU Gels I think this is still in reach.  However, there is a greater chance that the Gov’t will finally agree on a budget than me keeping a 10:20 pace for the entire race.
Goal B: 2:30:00.  It’s been 5 years since I last ran a half marathon so I’m keeping my expectations in check.  I’m trying to approach this race as if it was my first one.  This goal is simply to keep a steady pace and try to get a respectable time.
Goal C: FINISH: If the first two goals are out of my reach then I’m not going to stress out.  I simply want to enjoy the race, marvel in the history of the monuments and dream about the cheeseburger I’m going to devour for lunch.

I’m confident that I will be able to reach goals B and C and I’m going to give everything I’ve got to beat 2:15:24.


Question for you more experienced racers: how do you set your goals for a race?

1 comment:

  1. Those are great goals! All the best for your race!

    ReplyDelete