Saturday, March 26, 2011

Nation Half Marathon Race Recap

The morning started with some mild excitement.  I did my best to have everything laid last night so that I could spend more time sleeping.  Apparently after charging the Garmin 305 I left it on ALL night so when I was double checking everything my Garmin informed me that it had a low battery.  Fortunately I remembered that I have a car charger with an USB outlet so I charged the watch during the 45 minute drive.  For this reason alone I'm glad that I had to get up a bit earlier than I wanted.

Adding to the craziness I was not able to meet up with some fellow bloggers because I had to spend a little more time letting the watch charge and then making the mad scramble to a port-a-potty.  Once I got to Corral 7, I randomly met up with a buddy from work.  Having similar goals we decided to run together.    

As for the goals I tried to keep my expectations realistic since this was my 2nd first half marathon ever and my 1st since 2006.  Overall I wanted to have a good time so that I would be encouraged to keep running for my enjoyment and because I have to for work.  If you remember my "Goal A"" was to beat the Woman's WR Full Marathon time...with a 13 mile head start.  OK enough of the nice guy talk...

I am pumped that I beat my goal time of a 2:15:24!  I will have to wait for the official time to be posted but according to the Garmin I finished with a 2:11:55.  Take that Paula Radcliffe! 

Here are my splits:














After about 1.5 miles, my impromptu running partner decided that he wanted to push it a bit so I eagerly let him go ahead so that I could "attempt" to stay close to a 10:15 pace.  I'm pretty impressed with my splits however, I'm surprised with mile 7...I didn't think I was going that slow!  No matter I have nothing to complain about.

I do have to give some special thanks to the old school Guns n Roses, David Crowder Band and Audio Adrenalin for helping me kick up the pace in the last mile!

Hope those of you who ran today met your goals and had a great time.  Sorry to all of those who I planned on meeting this morning.  Maybe we can do it again at a future race.

3 comments:

  1. Woot! Congratulations, Paula's got nothing on you! Look at that last mile!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on meeting your goal, and then some!! That's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats...great job! don't even worry about mile 7, it was rough with all those hills.

    ReplyDelete