Monday, March 21, 2011

Last Week's Non-Long Long Run

This past Saturday I was scheduled to run 11 miles for my weekly long run.  I was going to use this as a final evaluation for my attempt of keeping a 10:20 or better pace for this week's half marathon.  Little did I know that my plan was thwarted my Friday night's dinner decision.  Lady M, the girls and I treated ourselves to a great cheeseburger from Five Guys.  This wasn't the first time that I've had Five Guys the night before a run so I never thought it could come back and bite me in the end.  I. Was. Wrong.

The morning routine was no different from every other Saturday run.  I got up and did my business while checking facebook and playing my turn on Wordfued...see I can multitask.  My legs were really tired/heavy but I attributed them to running 5 miles, on back to back days, at a faster pace than I'm used to.  My stomach started out fine but the more I ran the more uneasy it felt.  I decided that the 1.5 mile mark would be the point of no return.  I either keep running and face the consequences, find a tree to hide behind (then run the rest without 1 sock), or turn around and head back home. 

I opted for make this a 3 mile run, with the chance of heading back out a finishing the remaining 8 once I was feeling better.  It proved to be a good decision.  I'm proud to say that I'm still on track for completing my overall goal for 2011.

I never made it out for the rest of the run though.  After feeling better, my two oldest daughters came downstairs and asked me to watch cartoons with them since I was already back from running.  I didn't have the heart to tell them that I still have over an hours worth of running left.  Plus my time was already booked for the late morning/early afternoon for my fantasy baseabll keeper league draft so I knew I couldn't spend time with them later in the day. 

This was the best decision I made all weekend.  Sure I might regret not finishing the run but I wouldn't trade snuggling up to my girls early in morning for anything...even if they both said that I stink and need a shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment