Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I'm A Victim...And Need Your Help!

So far in every run that I’ve done this year I’ve had a hard time keeping my pace under control for the first part of the run.  I always go out much faster than planned for the first half then slow it way down for the finish.  Inevitably my overall pace is about 20-40 seconds faster than what is recommended by McMillian Running for a sub 2:15:24 half marathon goal.  After much thought and research spending little extra time reigning on a porcelain throne this morning I think I figured out why.  I am a victim. 


That’s right a victim suffering from Wickedly Ultra Slow Syndrome, also known as a WUSS in the professional world.  The problem with being a WUSS is that I’m just like Maverick in Top Gun.  Beside the good looks I constantly feel “the need…the need for speed!”  So know that I know what the problem is, and knowing is half the battle, I need to find the answer.  I know I must slow things done to avoid injury and actually increase the chances of meeting my goal time, but the question is how do you do that?
So, is there anybody that formerly suffered from being a WUSS that has solved this issue?  How can I find the WUSS Anonymous group in my area? 
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

3 comments:

  1. Ray,

    I used to have this problem and found that for me the best way to overcome an abundance of energy to start is to increase my warm-up activity. There is a seven minute routine that I swear by. Not only will it help you warm up correctly, but is also considered injury prevention. The lunges (forwards & backwards) help strengthen your quads & glutes (muscles needed to counteract imbalances from running) http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-285--13535-0,00.html

    I also swear by streching/yoga post run. This activity is the quickest and targets the most muscles:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-287--12880-0,00.html
    I'll usually do a longer more specific stretching routine after long and/ or hard runs.

    Alternatives to helping with pace include finding a pacing partner, a virtual pacing partner (Garmin 405 forerunner has this), finding a phrase to repeat aloud over and over (steals your breath so you slow down), running barefoot (really slows you down for maintenance runs) and going back to the treadmill.

    Good luck and let me know if any of that helps.

    Leo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using a running watch that shows pace, or has a virtual trainer helps. Maybe loading songs onto an MP3 player that have a set beats per minute would help as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After stepping away from running for a while, I have developed a bad case of WUSS.

    ReplyDelete