Thursday, October 7, 2010

Three Things Thursday

1.       Skype is awesome.  M and I were able to talk to some of our dear friends from Alabama this week thanks to Skype.  Joining a new church and making new friends is very excited but it is also a bit stressful because you have to allow the "I feel close enough with you to share my concerns and not fully thought out plans with someone I've only known for a short time" aspect of the relationship to work itself out.  That can take time and a lot of awkward discussions both for both parties.  Friends of ours in Ohio told us that when they decided to get out of the military they were able to make friendships with people they've known for a couple years.  They went on to say that the only thing that changed in the "relationship" was that they were no longer "forced" to move.  Apparently even at church there are people who won't take the time to get to know someone all because Uncle Sam will take them away a few years later. 
Therefore, Skype provided a great sense of comfort for us.  Even though we didin't engage in a deep conversation (M and A Housewife in Montgomery spent most of the time talking about the kid's schooling and making hair bows) it felt like we never moved from Alabama in 2006.  So who ever created Skype, thank you.  But most of all thank you for making it free!
2.       So far I've had to juggle the timing of my runs this week.  Instead of running in the mornings before going to work I've ran on the treadmill in the basement.  It's not a bad thing but it pretty much means that I'm going to be later than I want.  Unfortunately because of the transportation complexity here is DC I'm not able to sleep in to make up for the longer night.  After a couple of days it makes it harder to get up in the morning.  I'll be on the treadmill again tonight after all the girls have gone to bed so I'm already not looking forward to tomorrow morning. 

3.       Unfortunately I have honor and privilege of attending a funeral at National Arlington Cemetery.  A son-in-law of a co-worker us was killed while on patrol in Afghanistan in September.  He was only 24 years old and left behind his wife of only 1 year.  Here is more information about him, http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/sjfleming.htm.  Please say a prayer for all families grieving over his death.

No comments:

Post a Comment